To make the doughnuts:
- Take a small ball of prepared dough that has already had one rising.
- Roll it into a ball, push a square of quality dark chocolate into the middle and pinch closed, rolling smooth into a even ball. Continue with this until all dough has been rolled. You will most likely use a full block of chocolate.
- Set aside and allow to rise again for approx 20mins.
- Heat oil to approx 180 C and carefully drop doughnuts into the hot oil 2-3 at a time, so they have plenty of room to rise to the surface.
- After 2-3 minutes flip doughnuts and cook on the other side for another 2 mins until golden on both sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and drain on paper towels. Roll in castor sugar.
I often make up half the dough into doughnuts and freeze the other half for another day, I just take the dough out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw out in the fridge.